23 enero 2012

Long Gone Daddy: Pat Cupp




Pat Cupp, cantante de Rockabilly que actuó en el Louisiana Hayride. Compartió escenario con Johnny Cash y Carl Perkins en varias ocasiones. Pat grabó varios éxitos de Música Rockabilly en los años 50, como "Long Gone Daddy", "Do Me No Wrong", "Baby Come Back", "I Guess It's Meant That Way" "I Won't Remember To Cry" y "That Gal Of Mine". Fue inducido al Rockabilly Hall Of Fame





Pat, muchas gracias por concederme esta entrevista. ¿Cuándo empezó usted a grabar discos y por qué?
Pat Cupp: Mi primeros discos fueron grabados aproximadamente dos semanas después de actuar en el Louisiana Hayride en Shreveport, Louisiana. Conocí a Joe Behari de Modern Records después de la actuación. Él quería contratarnos para grabar en su Sello RPM. Este nuevo sonido que Elvis empezó a ganar popularidad entre los jóvenes y su Compañía Discográfica quería un Artista que les ofreciera ese nuevo sonido. My primer disco fue estrictamente Rockabilly. (Do Me No Wrong y Baby Come Back). En el segundo disco editado, la Compañía Discográfica quería cambiar el estilo a Rhythm & Blues y re-regrabamos “Long Gone Daddy”. Y después tuve que escribir “To Be The One”, una canción lenta, para la cara B. No es un secreto que no estaba satisfecho con el disco de Rhythm & Blues. No era el estilo de música que quería hacer. Era demasiado comercial. Había grabado seis canciones estilo Rockabilly y la Compañía Discográfica no editó cuatro de ellos hasta años después. Llegaron a ser famosos en Europa y en otros países a finales de los años 60 y 70.

A usted le gusta escuchar crooners, ¿cuáles eran sus cantantes/bandas preferidas siendo niño?
Pat Cupp: Crecí en la era de las Big Bands. A mis padres les gustaba y tocaban la Música de aquella era. Me gustaba Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, y los Ink Spots. No estaba expuesto a Música Country durante los primeros años de mi vida.

Pat, ¿podría contarnos algo sobre Cheesie Nelson?
Pat Cupp: Cheesie Nelson y yo éramos muy amigos en el Instituto. A Cheesie le gustaba imitar a la mayoría de los cantantes Country. Lo hacía para su propio divertimento y para pasar un buen rato en los viajes del colegio, etc. Él no tocaba la guitarra y solía cantar aquellas canciones sin música de fondo. A finales del verano de 1954, Cheesie vino a mi casa y me introdujo en la música de Elvis Presley. La música era excitante y diferente a la Música Country que escuchábamos en la radio. Cheesie y yo decidimos que queríamos aprender esas canciones e imitar a ese chico llamado Elvis. O tocaría la guitarra mientras Cheesie imitaba la voz de Elvis. Llegamos a ser famosos en Texarkana con nuestros amigos de la escuela porque podíamos hacer esa música y sonar exactamente como Elvis. Incluso reemplazamos a Elvis dos veces (en Texarkana) debido a que Elvis llegó tarde a los shows. Elvis tuvo un par de accidentes de coche y no pudo llegar a tiempo a los conciertos. El promotor del show sabía que imitábamos a Elvis y nos dijo que saliéramos al escenario y distrayésemos al público hasta que llegase Elvis. Llegados a ese punto decidí que quería involucrarme en el nuevo “Sonido Elvis”. Yo estaba convencido de que quería vivir de la Música. Cheesie no estaba interesado en vivir de la Música. Él después estudió y llegó a ser conocido como el Doctor Dr. Carl M. Nelson y fue Presidente de Texarkana Community College hasta el día de su fallecimiento a los 62 años. Siempre dire que Cheesie Nelson fue el primer Imitador de Elvis.

¿Fue ese su primer concierto?
Pat Cupp: No podría decir que ese fuese mi primer concierto. Fue mi primera interpretación de Música Rockabilly. He estado en el negocio del espectáculo y me han pagado por ello desde que tenía 11 años. Tuve mi primer Show de Radio a los 13 años. El estilo de Música que hacía estaba contemplado en el “Hit Parade” que no incluía Música Country. Yo tenía 17 años cuando Cheesie y yo empezamos a interpretar a Elvis. A finales de 1955 formé la Banda The Flying Saucers y empezamos a ser contratados para bailes y clubes por la localidad. Mi manager era la persona encargada de contratar a Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison y otros para actuar en Texarkana, Arkansas. Él siempre me contrataba junto con el grupo con el que habíamos empezado. Así es como conocimos a todos esos chicos.

¿Podría hablarnos de esa noche que tocó en Texacana en lugar de Elvis, Scotty y Bill cuando llegaron tarde al concierto?
Pat Cupp: Sí, la recuerdo muy bien. Cheesie Nelson y yo estábamos tomando una coca cola y una hamburguesa en un local para jóvenes de la localidad, cuando un amigo se acercó y dijo que el promotor del Auditorio de Texarkana nos estaba buscando. Teníamos que ir al Auditorio y hacer la Imitación de Elvis. Cuando llegamos al Auditorio, supimos que Elvis y su banda habían sufrido un accidente a unas 12 millas al sur de Texarkana. Elvis iba a llegar tarde y el promoter nos necesitaba para que subiéramos al escenario y mantuviésemos distraida a la gente joven hasta que Elvis y su banda llegase. Yo toque la guitarra mientras Cheesie cantaba las primeras canciones que Elvis había grabado en la Sun. Por supuesto, Elvis, Scotty y Bill llegaron y entonces continuaron ellos el show. Elvis nos preguntó si lo visitaríamos durante el intermedio del show. Él estaba sorprendido de que interpretásemos tan bien sus canciones y se preguntaba porqué queríamos hacer eso. Tuvimos una agradable visita en donde hablamos sobre música, cosas que hacer en Texarkana y chicas. Elvis vino a Texarkana muchas veces a actuar en shows y Cheesie y yo parecía que siempre estábamos en el lugar correcto para visitarlo de nuevo. Después de que se fuera a la RCA Victor, Cheesie y yo no lo volvimos a ver.

Pat, ¿En dónde conoció a Johnny Gatlin, Pete Waller, Ruth Cupp y J.O. Livsey (The Flying Saucers)?
Pat Cupp: Pues bien, antes de nada, Ruth Cupp era mi Madre. Ella tocaba el piano en mi banda, J.O. Livsey era un batería que tocaba en otra banda y para el que trabajé. Johnny Gatlin, guitarrista, and Pete Waller, bajo, me los presentó mi manager. Mi Manager trabajaba para la KOSY Radio en Texarkana y tenía un show de Música Country cada día. Los chicos de mi banda y yo nos conocimos en la emisora KOSY y ensayábamos las canciones que teníamos que interpretar en los Stage Shows.

Las sesiones demo en Onyx Recording Studio en Memphis fueron enviadas a Sam Phillips, ¿por qué entonces grabó con Modern Records?
Pat Cupp: Sí, enviamos una cinta grabada con mis canciones a Sam, pero Sam no contestó. Mientras tanto, conocí a Joe Behari de Modern Records y él fue el que estuvo interesado

Pat, usted también tocó con Carl y Johnny antes de tocar con los Flying Saucers, ¿podría contarnos más sobre ello?
Pat Cupp: Después de que Elvis empezase a grabar para la RCA, los conciertos en Texarkana tenían como estrellas principales a Johnny Cash y Carl Perkins. Hablé con el hombre que promocionaba esos shows sobre ser mi manager y me ayudó permitiéndome ser telonero de Johnny y Carl. El primer show que hice, todavía no tenía mi banda formada. Estaba a punto de caminar fuera del escenario yo solo con mi guitarra cuando Carl se dio cuenta de que yo no tenía una banda que me respaldase. Él cogió su guitarra y le dijo al bajo de Johnny (Grant) que lo siguiese. Estos dos chicos caminaron fuera conmigo y me tocaron como si lo hubieran hecho durante años. Yo estaba muy sorprendido de que fuese tan bien. Nunca olvidaré esa noche y la amabilidad que Carl Perkins me demostró. Estuve en muchos shows con ambos, Johnny y Carl después de eso, pero con mi propia banda. Esa era la música que quería hacer y la gente con la que quería viajar, pero, cuando firmé con Modern Records, las cosas cambiaron.

Usted ha actuado en la película llamada “The Town That Dreaded Sundown”, ¿cuáles son sus recuerdos sobre ello?, ¿fue su única actuación?, ¿le gusto hacerlo?
Pat Cupp: Participé en la película por accidente. Simplemente fui a ver cómo se hacía una película y ver a la gente que actuaba. Ben Johnson era uno de mis actores favoritos y tenía ganas de conocerle. Cuando estaba allí, observando, un hombre, del equipo de la película, me preguntó si me gustaría participar en la película. Creí que bromeaba. Podía hacer el papel que el director estaba buscando de un hombre mayor para interpretar a un policía. Tenían muchos jóvenes bien parecidos pero sentían que necesitaban hombres mayors para hacer de policías. Yo acepté la invitación y me dijeron que me vistiese de policía y me cortase el pelo. Pasé las siguientes dos semanas trabajando en la película. Incluso salí por ahí con Ben Johnson. Él era un hombre muy agradable. Sí, realmente disfruté de la experiencia. Fui invitado a Utah para hacer otra película pero finalmente elegí permanecer en casa.

¿Cuándo empezó a tocar con The Variables?
Pat Cupp: Después de mis cuatro años en las Fuerzas Aéreas, regresé a Texarkana. Estaba casado por aquel entonces y había creado una familia. Me ofrecieron tocar en conciertos que me mantendrían en la carretera y lejos de mi familia. Elegí no dar esos conciertos. Un amigo, en Texarkana, estaba tocando con una banda local y me preguntó si quería tocar con ellos en un concierto. Tocaban Jazz y necesitaban un guitarrista. Había escuchado mucho Jazz en las Fuerzas Aéreas mientras estábamos en Goose Bay, Labrador. Decidí que tocaría esa música y permanecería en la localidad. Esto fue en 1961. Empezamos a incluir Música Country popular, Dixie Land y Rock. Así es como pusimos el nombre “Variables”. Lo dejamos a mediados de los años 90. Es cuando empecé a tocar Rockabilly y a ser contratado en Europa y Estados Unidos.

¿Puede contarnos sobre su periodo en las Fuerzas Aéreas Estadounidenses?
Pat Cupp: Yo estaba en las Fuerzas Aéreas por un corto periodo de tiempo cuando empecé a tocar con una banda después del entrenamiento básico. Me enviaron a Goose Bay, Labrador por un año y toque cada noche en una banda allí. Me fui de Goose Bay y me enviaron a la Base de las Fuerzas Aéreas de Barksdale en Shreveport, Louisiana. Empecé a tocar en una banda llamada “The Knock-a-Bouts”. Tocábamos Country y Música Rock.

¿Cuál es el momento favorito de su carrera?
Pat Cupp: Esta pregunta será difícil de responder. He tenido muchos momentos increíbles. Creo que la mejor  época fueron mis viajes a Europa y a los Rockabilly Shows que tuve allí y también en Estados Unidos. Soy mayor y aprecio que a los Fans del Rockabilly Fans les guste mi música de los años 50. Creo que he tenido lo mejor de ambos mundos. He tenido a mi familia y mi música. No cambiaría nada.

¿Ha realizado alguna otra gira además de Hemsby en el año 95?
Pat Cupp: He dado conciertos en Green Bay, Wisconsin, Indianapolis, Indiana en Estados Unidos. Actué en Hemsby dos veces. Ofrecí mi último concierto en Francia. Todos estos shows elegí hacerlos. Tuve que desestimar muchos otros debido a problemas auditivos y otras obligaciones que me mantenían en casa.

¿Cuáles son sus planes futuros?
Pat Cupp: Mi esposa y yo viajamos por Estados Unidos lo máximo posible. Y esperamos hacerlo más. También disfrutamos de nuestros nietos y bisnietos. La Música está en mi pasado pero no la olvido. Ahora mismo, ¡la Vida es bella!!!!

Muchas gracias, Pat, espero que todo le vaya muy bien.



Pat's oldest Brother who was in the Air Force at the time, Skippy Cupp; sister, Bea; Mother, Ruth; Pat's Dad, Burton; Pat's Brother Mickey at the Piano. Pat was 13 years old

                                                                              Sept. 22, 1956

Carl "Cheesie" Nelson with Blue Moon Boys (Scotty Moore and Bill Black) and Jimmy Day in Texarkana ~ Sept. 2, 1955


Pat Cupp, a Rockabilly singer who played at The Louisiana Hayride. He did several stage shows with Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins. Pat recorded may Rockabilly Hits in the 50´s as "Long Gone Daddy", "Do Me No Wrong", "Baby Come Back", "I Guess It's Meant That Way" "I Won't Remember To Cry" and "That Gal Of Mine" and was inducted into the Rockabilly Hall Of Fame




Pat, thank you very much for this interview. When did you start recording and why?
Pat Cupp: My first recordings were made about two weeks after a performance at the Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport, Louisiana. I met Joe Behari of Modern Records after the performance. He wanted to contract us to record on his RPM Label. This new sound that Elvis started was catching on with the young kids and his Record Company wanted an Artist who could give them this new sound. My first record was strictly Rockabilly. (Do Me No Wrong and Baby Come Back) The second record release, the Record Company wanted to change the style to R&B and re-recorded “Long Gone Daddy”. I then had to write “To Be The One”, a slow song, for the flip side. It’s no secret that I was unhappy with the R&B recording. It was not the style of music I wanted to do. It was too commercial. I had recorded 6 Rockabilly style songs and the Record Company didn’t release 4 of them until years later. They became popular in Europe and other countries in the late 1960’s and 1970’s.

You liked crooners, what were your favourite singers when you were a child?
Pat Cupp: I was raised in the era of the Big Bands. My parents liked and played the music of that era. I liked Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and the Ink Spot Group. I was not exposed to Country Music during the early years of my life.

Pat, Can you tell us about Cheesie Nelson?
Pat Cupp:Cheesie Nelson and I were very good High School friends. Cheesie liked to mimic most all the Country Music singers. He did this for his own amusement and had fun with it on school trips, etc. He didn’t play guitar and usually sang these songs without any music background. In late summer of 1954, Cheesie came to my house and introduced me to the music of Elvis Presley. The music was exciting and different from the classic Country Music we heard on the radio. Cheesie and I decided we wanted to learn these songs and mimic this Elvis guy. I would play the guitar while Cheesie mimicked Elvis’ voice. We became popular in Texarkana with our school friends because we could do this music and sound just like Elvis. We even took Elvis’ Place on stage a couple of times (in Texarkana) due to Elvis being late for shows. Elvis had a couple of car accidents and was unable to get to the show on time. The show promoter knew of our Elvis Act and had us come on stage and keep the crowd happy until Elvis got there. It was at that time I decided I wanted to get involved with the new “Elvis Sound”. I was serious about wanting to make a living in music. Cheesie was not interested in making a living in music. He later educated himself and became known as Dr. Carl M. Nelson and was President of Texarkana Community College until his death at the age of 62. I will always believe that Cheesie Nelson was the first Elvis Impersonator.

Can you tell us about that night when you played at Texacana in place of Elvis, Scotty and Bill when they were late for a gig?
Pat Cupp:Yes, I remember it pretty well. Cheesie Nelson and I were having a coke and hamburger at a local teen hangout when a friend came to us and said that promoter at the Texarkana Auditorium was looking for us. We needed to go to the Auditorium and do our Elvis Act. When we got to the Auditorium, we found out that Elvis and his band had had a car accident about 12 miles south of Texarkana. Elvis was going to be late and the promoter needed us to go on stage and keep the young people happy until Elvis and band could get to the show. I played guitar while Cheesie did the early songs that Elvis had recorded on Sun. Of course, Elvis, Scotty and Bill arrived and then took over the show. Elvis ask us to come visit with him during the show’s intermission. He was surprised that we could do his recordings so well and wondered why we even wanted to do it. We had a good visit talking about music, things to do in Texarkana and girls. Elvis come to Texarkana several times to do shows and Cheesie and I seemed to always be in the right place to visited with him again. After he went with RCA Victor, Cheesie and I never saw him again.

Was this your first gig?
Pat Cupp: I wouldn’t say it was my first gig. It was my first exposure to Rockabilly Music. I had been entertaining in the public and getting paid for it since I was 11 years old. I had my own Radio Show at the age of 13. The style of music I did was referred to as “Hit Parade” that didn’t include Country Music. I was 17 years old when Cheesie and I began to do the Elvis Music. In later 1955 I formed the “Flying Saucer Band” and began booking dances and clubs in the local area. My manager happen to be the guy who booked Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison and others to perform in Texarkana, Arkansas. He would always book me along with this group who were just starting out in their carriers. This is how I met all these guys.

Pat, Where did you meet Johnny Gatlin, Pete Waller, Ruth Cupps and J.O. Livsey (The Flying Saucers)?
Pat Cupp: Well, first of all, Ruth Cupp was my Mother. She played piano in my band. J.O. Livsey was a drummer who had played in another band I had worked with. Johnny Gatlin, guitar, and Pete Waller, bass, were introduced to me by my manager. My manager worked for KOSY Radio in Texarkana and had a Country Music Show every day. The guys in my band and I would meet at KOSY and practice the songs we would perform on the Stage Shows.

The demo sessions at Onyx recording studio in Memphis were sent to Sam Phillips, why then did you record for Modern Records?
Pat Cupp: Yes, we did send a tape recording of my songs to Sam, but Sam did not reply. Meantime, I met Joe Behari of Modern Records and he was the one who was interested.

Pat, you also played with Carl and Johnny before you formed with the Flying Saucers, can you tell us more about this?
Pat Cupp: After Elvis started recording for RCA, the stage shows in Texarkana were then staring Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins. I had talked the man who promoted these shows into being my manager and he was helping me by letting me open shows for Johnny and Carl. The first show I did, I didn’t have my band formed yet. I was about to walk out on stage by myself with just my guitar when Carl realized I didn’t have a back-up band. He just picked up his guitar and told Johnny’s bass man (Grant) to follow him. These two guys just walked out with me and back me up as if we had been doing it for years. I was very surprised it went so well. I have never forgotten that night and the kindness that Carl Perkins showed toward me. I was on several shows with both Johnny and Carl after that, but had my own band. This was the music I wanted to do and the people I wanted to travel with, but, when I went with Modern Records, things changed.

You played a part in the movie called The Town That Dreaded Sundown, what are your memories?, is this your only acting part? Did you like to do it?
Pat Cupp:I got into this movie by accident. I just went to see how movies were made and watch the people in it. Ben Johnson was one of my favourite actors and I had hopes of meeting him. As I was standing and watching, a man, with the movie team, ask me if I would like to be in the movie. I thought he was kidding. It turned out that the director was looking for some older men to play policemen. They had a lot of young looking guys but felt they needed older guys for some of the shots of policemen. I accepted the invitation and was sent to dress as a policeman and get my haircut short. I spent the next two weeks working in the making of the movie. I also got to pal around with Ben Johnson. He was a very nice man. Yes, I really liked the experience. I was invited to go to Utah for the making of another movie, but elected to stay at home.

When did you start playing with The Variables?
Pat Cupp: After my 4 years in the Air Force, I returned to Texarkana. I was married by then and had a family started. I was offered music playing gigs that would take me on the road and away from my family. I chose not to take those gigs. A friend of mine, in Texarkana was playing with a local band and ask me if I would like to play a gig with them. This band played Jazz type music and needed a guitar player. I had been exposed to Jazz music in the Air Force while at Goose Bay, Labrador. I decided that I could play this music and stay local. This was in 1961. We began to add the popular Country Music, Dixie Land, and Rock. That is how we got the name “Variables”. We broke up in the mid 1990’s. This is when I began doing the Rockabilly Music and booking in Europe and USA.

Can you tell us about your time with the US Air Force?
Pat Cupp: I was in the Air Force a short time when I began playing with a band after basic training. I was shipped to Goose Bay, Labrador for a year and played every night in a band there. I left Goose Bay and was sent to Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, Louisiana. I began playing in a band there called “The Knock-a-Bouts”. We played Country and Rock Music.

What was your favourite moment of your career?
Pat Cupp:It would be hard to answer this question. I have had so many moments that have been great. I guess the more pleasurable times have been my trips to Europe and the Rockabilly Shows I have done there as well as in the USA. I’m older and appreciate the Rockabilly Fans liking my music of the 1950’s. I think I have had the best of both worlds. I have had my family and my music on my own terms. I would not change a thing.

Has you toured anywhere other than Hemsby in 95?
Pat Cupp:I have done shows at Green Bay, Wisconsin, Indianapolis, Indiana in the USA. I have played Hemsby twice. I did my last show in France. All these shows I choose to do. I have turned down many more due to failing hearing problems and had other obligations that kept me home.

What are your future plans?
Pat Cupp:My wife and I travel the USA as much as possible. We intend to do more. We are also enjoying our grandkids and great grandkids. Music is in my past but not forgotten. Right now, Life is good!!!!


Thank you very much, Pat. I wish you the best.




Back row, left to righ Max Dickerson, bass Fitz Fitzgerald, drums Dave Holder, piano. Front row Pat Cupp, lead guitar and vocals Joe Procopio, rhythm guitar and vocals.


1956


1956




Living Quarters During Basic Training




Performing at a 1956 High School Function School. Friend Phillip Duvall











Pat Cupp ~ Long Gone Daddy


Pat Cupp ~ That Girl Of Mine


Pat Cupp ~ I Guess It´s Meant That Way

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario